Adventurers Long Trail Expedition
CAMP DESCRIPTION (FOR 2018 TRIP):
Registration opens February 1, 2019. Check our summer schedule for details on our different themed camps.
Our culminating summer experience is for older kids (5th-8th grade). While our other camps are centered in Burlington and rooted in one geographic place, our Adventurers program gets kids out into the vast Vermont wilderness. We alternate our trip between hiking the Long Trail and paddling the Winooski River. Inspired by the adventures of the great naturalists of the 19th century, we will spend three days (9am-3:30pm) at Bent Birch Base Camp at Rock Point in Burlington introducing basic camping skills (setting up camp, cooking over a fire, orienteering, natural navigation, wilderness first aid, wild edibles, paddling, and more). Using our newly acquired skills, the group will head out on a 3-day, 2-night wilderness trip hiking the Long Trail. No previous camping or backpacking experience necessary. Registration limited to 8 boys and 8 girls.
- Monday-Wednesday (9am-3:30pm): At Rock Point in Burlington
- Thursday (9am): Arrive at Rock Point with backpacks packed and ready to go, leave for the Long Trail
- Saturday (afternoon): Return to Rock Point around 2-3pm (will call parents as we leave the trailhead)
- 3-day/2-night backpacking trip on the Long Trail!
- Primitive/Tarp shelters
- Natural Navigation
- Wilderness Survival
- Introduction to paddling
- Cooking with camp stoves
- Leave No Trace camping techniques
- Water purification