The Field School
The Field School is a space where kiddos in grades K-5 can immerse themselves in the creative expanse of the wild world. Our classroom consists of more than 100 acres of forest, meadow, shoreline, and marsh on land adjacent to Lake Champlain, in Burlington Vermont. Our curriculum is emergent, based on the passions of the staff, the evolving interest of each kid, and the seasonal events unfolding under a canopy of maples and hickories. Each day brings new adventures and opportunities for learning and discovery.
South Village Middle School Cohort
New this year is a small cohort (limited to 5) of middle schoolers who will be out at the Field School with our Thursday group. Middle Schoolers will have dedicated time as a cohort to work on deepening their own skills as well as opportunities to design and facilitate activities for the younger kids. Details here.
Click on the image to view a gallery from the Field School.
Dates for 2017/2018: The Field School includes, two overnights, one in the follow and one in the spring, and follows the Burlington School district calendar for Winter and Spring Break vacation weeks. Check the calendar for specific dates.
- Begins week of September 4, 2017
- Wednesdays, Thursdays, or Fridays, 9am – 3pm
- Fall + Spring overnights
For more information on the Field School:
- PROGRAM OVERVIEW | Provides a brief overview of the pedagogy that underpins Crow’s Path and describes the core activities and design element woven into the program throughout the year.
- CROW’S PATH SONG LINES | For her senior project at UVM, Britt collected stories, songs, and games from Crow’s Path and collected them into a beautiful document.
- BLOG | Collection of photos, videos, and stories from the Field School.
- FAQ PAGE | A collection of answers to the most common questions we get asked.
- STATE STANDARDS Shows link between activities and learning at Crow’s Path and Vermont’s state standards (middle school version)
- EMAIL US | to be added to our mailing list to get program announcements, registration dates, and nautral history notes
A typical day
Because we do not follow a prescribed curriculum, we never know exactly what adventures or experiences we’ll encounter on any given day. At the same time, each day has a similar rhythm, based on Field School traditions including: morning greeting, guilds, fox walk to base camp, fire by friction, singing and story-telling, thanks giving, snack, sit time and closing circle. These traditions help children to feel a part of The Crow’s Path community.
|9:15am:||Fox walk into woods|
|9:45am:||Fire making, snack, and morning check-in|
How do I register?
Registration for new + returning families is now open.
Registration for next school year (2017/18) will open until July 15.
We accept registration forms for the coming year of Field School between June 15 and July 15 (we don’t accept on a first come first serve basis or roll over wait lists from previous years). For new families, please email, mail, or drop off the registration form along with the deposit (and financial aid form if requesting financial assistance). We will let families know of our decision by July 20. If you are put on the waitlist, we will not cash checks.
In an effort to create a balanced and whole community at Crow’s Path, we consider age and gender in the registration process.
Other forms can be submitted after July 20th.
Once you’ve been accepted to the Field School program, you will need to submit the following forms: